Thursday 2 May 2013

Le Chemin de Tours

Despite my previous resolution, I have decided to walk le Chemin de Tours, leaving Paris for Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on May 8. I will be equipped with new boots, leather this time, a lighter pack, and an iPad Mini to record and share my experiences if the mood takes me and the Muse inspires.

Le Chemin de Tours was the most popular route for medieval pilgrims, but is the least travelled today, as much of the old route has been paved over with modern highways and many of the little villages have become big towns. So I won't be doing so much rural walking. On the other hand, I will pass through many UNESCO sites, and I plan to spend an extra night in some of these famous towns along the way.

You will see a map of the route to the right.

4 comments:

  1. hi, did you do this walk? I'm starting from paris in april and looking for all the info I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did. You can follow it on my blog, or it might be easier to read at carolusperegrinator.com. There were few gites between Paris and Tours; after that they were more frequent. You pass through many beautiful towns on this walk. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.

      Delete
  2. How is the walk from Paris to Orleans? Is is mainly roadsides, trails or gravel? Also how hilly is it?
    Ruth






    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s certainly more interesting after Orléans. More gîtes too. As I recall, you are walking mainly along minor roads. But it’s flat. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete